The Mount Pleasant Community Arts Center (MPCAC), established in 2016 is a 501 (C)(3) non-profit corporation, governed by a volunteer board of directors. Its mission to promote and increase access to the arts such as plays, music and art appreciation programs in Mt. Pleasant and the East Cooper area creating a community arts center. The center will be all-inclusive, including facilities for the performing, visual and literary arts. It will be guided by the principles of inclusion, collaboration and innovation.
Objectives / Goals
The objectives of the MPCAC encompass, but are not limited to, creating a community arts center that includes the following:
- A theatre that accommodates various types of performances, including a resident acting company which promotes new and local playwrights;
- Facilities for arts-related educational, cultural, and outreach programs;
- Studio and rehearsal spaces at affordable rates for all art disciplines;
- An art gallery with exhibit space for local artists and artisans, traveling exhibits, and sweetgrass basket exhibits;
- A gift shop selling arts and crafts by local and southern artists;
- Business mentoring for professional artists to assist them in making a living from their art.
The Mount Pleasant Community Arts Center is a voice for the Mount Pleasant Creative Community.
March – April 2016: The Mount Pleasant Community Arts Center conducted surveys on the need and support for a community arts center.
October 18, 2017: The Mount Pleasant Community Arts Center and the Charleston Regional Alliance for the Arts sponsored a TOMP candidates' forum on the arts.
November 2017: The Mount Pleasant Community Arts Center advocated for including input from the artistic community into TOMP New Comprehensive Plan
January 2018: The Mount Pleasant Community Arts Center began advocating on behalf of local artists for access to the new Lucy Beckham High School Performing Arts Center.
Board of Directors
Marie-Louise Moreto, President
Carole Hallman, Secretary
Angela Dyer, Treasurer